Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cashew Butter Cups


I almost started writing about my newfound obsession with the television show Cheers but quickly realized that would most likely be pretty boring to read about. Then my cat, in a desperate plea for attention, kept walking back and forth in front of the keyboard and I considered writing about that. The topic of our broken washing machine and our new method of washing clothing in the kitchen sink also crossed my mine. So my life is pretty boring right now.* But I have these Cashew Butter Cups. It's not all bad.

Tip about the cashew butter: I made homemade cashew butter using salted, roasted cashews (unsalted, raw cashews would also work) for this recipe, but store-bought cashew butter may also be used in this recipe. 1 cup cashews = 1/2 cup cashew butter (roughly). Blend in a food processor for a long time. You'll know when it's ready.

Tip about the granola: I used leftover homemade granola for this. I actually happened to have granola on hand without any add-ins -- no dried fruit or nuts. If your granola has add-ins, I'd pick out the dried fruit. The nuts might be OK left in, since they'll blend in pretty well with the cashew butter.

Cashew Butter Cups:

Filling:

1/2 cup cashew butter, salted (if not salted, add a pinch of salt) (see note above)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup leftover granola (see note above; optional but strongly recommended for texture)
1 teaspoon oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate:

2 cups chocolate chips

Line a 12-cup muffin tin with baking liners. Melt chocolate over low heat, using a spatula to stir. Add a teaspoon of melted chocolate to each liner, spreading to cover the bottom. Place in fridge to harden. Meanwhile, prepare filling by combining all ingredients in a food processor until creamy. Divide filling evenly among cups. Add another teaspoon of melted chocolate on top of filling and spread to cover filling as best you can. Let chocolate set in the fridge. Enjoy at room temperature.

Yield: 12 cups

*Well, maybe boring to some people. I personally find Cheers, my cat and laundry very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment