Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Oil-Free Fettuccine Alfredo



I crave fat. Avocado, cashew cream & coconut milk are my gotos for a creamy fix. Since I know I get enough fat in my diet, I try to decrease the amount of oil I consume, so I've started to saute without oil--and I can't tell the difference!

When sauteing onions without oil, I stir a big pinch of salt into the onions to sweat them. I keep the heat on medium & the pot covered (to hold the moisture in the pan) and stir frequently. If the onions start to stick, add a splash of water or vegetable broth.

I also look for methods of achieving creaminess without the use of high-fat ingredients like avocados, cashews & coconut. In this alfredo sauce, silken tofu and pureed cooked onions do the trick.

Oil-Free Fettuccine Alfredo:

1 lb. linguine or fettuccine noodles
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 12-ounce package firm silken tofu
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1.5 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook noodles according to package directions.

Saute onions in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Stir in a big pinch of salt to sweat onions, cover, and stir frequently. Let cook until translucent, about 10 minutes. If onions start to stick, add a splash of water or vegetable broth. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.

Blend onions, garlic, silken tofu, vegetable broth, lemon juice, salt, nutmeg & black pepper until smooth. Transfer back to pot and cook over medium-low heat until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring or whisking frequently.

Add sauce to cooked noodles, along with peas, and mix well. Serve hot! If reheating later, you may need to add a splash of vegetable broth if sauce thickens in the fridge.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment