Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

Eight Desserts of Hanukkah: Russian Tea Cakes

You win if you can spy Chopi in this photo.

I forgot to do a recipe yesterday (i.e. I fell asleep), so I'm posting two dessert recipes today! We'll start with Russian Tea Cakes, requested by my friend, Veronica. You can also call these Mexican Wedding Cookies, Snowballs, and, I imagine, many other names. This was not only my first time making these, but also my first time eating them! I enjoyed them, but I think I'd like them even more without the pecans (which I think is the point?). Update: I like the pecans, after all! I also think these taste best the next day, for some reason.

I adapted this recipe slightly from The Joy of Vegan Baking.

Russian Tea Cakes:

1 cup vegan butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups pecans, finely chopped
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Preheat oven to 300. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, or lightly oil.

With an electric mixer or by hand, cream together the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt. Add the flour and mix until well-combined. Add the pecans and mix again.

Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough and roll them into balls. Place on cookie sheets 1 inch apart. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until just beginning to turn golden.

While still warm, roll cookies in powdered sugar, then let cool on cookie sheets. Sift more powdered sugar on top of each cookie before serving.

Yield: 2 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment