Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Eight Desserts of Hanukkah: My Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies


Happy Fifth Night of Hanukkah! Tonight is a special night because I'm posting my favorite cookie: chocolate chip! Not just any chocolate chip, but the recipe my mom and I made while I was growing up.

You guessed it. Nestle Tollhouse! The Nestle Tollhouse recipe was veganized by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau in her wonderful cookbook, The Joy of Vegan Baking, replacing the two large eggs with three Ener-G Egg Replacer "eggs," but feel free to use your preferred egg replacer instead.

I'm always searching for that favorite chocolate chip cookie. It's a close tie between these and Dreena Burton's famous Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies. If you're going for that classic chocolate chip cookie from your childhood, I'd try these. Dreena's are a new type of chocolate chip cookie, rich and buttery with hints of maple syrup. The first time I tried Dreena's recipe while baking with my college roommates, we were all in awe (and made the recipe again the next night).

When my mom bakes this recipe for me, she always uses Ener-G and vegan butter, which is exactly what I do, but somehow hers are always better than mine. She has that magic touch!

My Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Adapted slightly from the Chocolate Chip Cookies in The Joy of Vegan Baking

4 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
6 tablespoons water
1 cup vegan butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips
A sprinkling of sea salt

Preheat oven to 375. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, or lightly oil.

In a food processor, blender or spice grinder, whip egg replacer and water together. Set aside.

Cream butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla together. Add egg replacer mixture and combine. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually incorporate dry into wet. When dough is almost thoroughly combined, stir in chocolate chips. Scoop heaping tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet, sprinkle each cookie lightly with sea salt, and bake 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Alternative baking method: form dough into a log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Store in refrigerator anywhere for (up to) 36 hours, then bake.

Yield: A few dozen, depending on how large you make each cookie

Do you have a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment